Afonyyd Cymru was formed in 2008 as an umbrella organisation to represent member Rivers Trusts across Wales. Afonydd Cymru received charitable status on the 30th January 2012.
The member Rivers Trusts are:
- Clwyd & Conwy Rivers Trust
- Pembrokeshire Rivers Trust
- South East Wales Rivers Trust
- Teifi Rivers Trust
- The Welsh Dee Trust
- Severn Rivers Trust
Afonydd Cymru works in partnership with Welsh Government, Environment Agency Wales, the Countryside Council for Wales, other organisations and local communities to improve the aquatic environment in Wales.
The aims of Afonydd Cymru are:
- To advance the education of the public in the management of water and environmental protection, conservation, rehabilitation and improvement.
- To advance the education of the public in the understanding of rivers, their basins, fauna and flora.
- To protect, conserve, rehabilitate and improve the rivers, streams, watercourses and river basins, including adjacent coastal waters and water impoundments, of Wales or any part or parts thereof for the public benefit.
Afonydd Cymru is a Limited Company with a Board of Directors. Each of the member Rivers Trusts is represented on the Board of Directors.